I am Sarena. I live in Geneva. I like to knit.

Saturday 9 February 2008

Too sick to knit

I've hardly done any knitting this week. I did make it to Stitch 'n' Bitch on Wednesday night, but only stayed for about an hour as I felt dreadful and was sweating like mad. Nice.

I did make it out of the apartment this afternoon to visit the post office, aware that a package for my Baby Yarn Swap on Swap Bot from Italy was waiting for me. It certainly cheered me up! My partner really spoiled me! She sent me two balls of Debbie Bliss Baby Cashmerino, which is great as I already have one ball in that colour and wasn't sure what to do with it, so now I have three, there is a bear that I think I might knit from the Rowan Classic Babies book.

She also sent me three balls of Laines du Nord baby yarn, the colours are so pretty! I might have to save these for when I have my own baby, rather than using them for any babies that various friends are having!

I also received some Kwaii goodies, very cute. She also sent me some Japanese sachets to put on steamed rice, yum! (She's Japanese but living in Turin, Italy). She also made me a MP3 CD of JPop. I haven't had a chance to listen to it yet, but will be putting it on my iPod soon so I can listen to it on my way to work.

I love receiving these parcels, I always seem to receive them just at the right time when I'm feeling sick or down.

machine, excellent! There are lots of thing that I want to sew and now IWhile I was out today, Mr H came out and bought me a sewing can! I really wanted to get one soon as I was making a rag ball to knit with and needed to sew all the pieces of fabric together but really didn't want to do it by hand, there are so many strips!

So, my rag ball is made out of a skirt of mine that I really loved but got a cigarette burn in it when I was out at a club. I was going to throw it away, but after getting my Mason Dixon book, I was inspired to make rag balls to knit with, so that's what I have decided to do. Knitting with rags seems like such a great way to use up fabric that you otherwise don't know what else to do with and it looks really effective. In the book there is a log cabin rug which is knit in cotton with rag knitting in between the different pieces and I think it looks great, so I think I will be giving something like that a go as I really want to give log cabin knitting a go, it seems like a great way to use up some of my left over bits of yarn that I just don't know what to do with.

I think I might have to start having a look around the flea market to see if I can find some old rag balls there that I can knit with, according to Mason Dixon, that seems to be a likely place to find them and there is a massive flea market in Plainpalais twice a week, so I might go next weekend if I have the time.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm very happy that you liked what I chose for you! I don't know if my CD matches with your tastes... Good luck!

Anonymous said...

i thought of doing something similar (rag yarn) with my wedding dress.. someone on offbeatbride did that...